From: Kris Kelley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 3:58 PM
To: QMail Mailing List
Subject: Re: Slow connection on send & Server connection closed

JK wrote:
> 1. From the time <Send> is clicked in Netscape 4.75 on NT, and the
> completion takes 15-20 seconds...
>
> 2. Some of the Netscape users complain that they frequently get error
> message indicating that there may be network problem or server may have
> closed the connection.
>
> Can someone tell me where to begin to look to troubleshoot this?

How was qmail installed by the consultant?  Do you know if it's using inetd
or tcpserver (or something more exotic) to listen to the SMTP port?

My guess is your server is trying to do ident queries (port 113) which are
disappearing into never-never land.  tcpserver has an option to disable
this, not sure about inetd.

---Kris Kelley