On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 04:00:29PM -0500, Daniel Kelley wrote:
> >
> > aha!  we use cucipop as well.  there's only one 'error locking' message in
> > the logs, but there are plenty of these:
> >
> > cucipop[20914]: Invalid command capa - -
> >
> > i've tried to figure out what this means, but i have no clue.  could this
> > be indicative of what you're talking about?
> >
> > if outlook clients are sending messages that cause this, what steps can be
> > taken to prevent it?
> >
> > thanks-
> >
> > dan
>
> It looks like this:
> Mar  5 18:02:29 gray cucipop[15401]: Error locking hwware's mailbox
> Mar  5 18:02:29 gray cucipop[15401]: lost hwware 208.148.249.48 240, 16 (752895), 0
>(0)
>
> Note that this is a client issue, not qmail.  You need to find out
> what "getting delivered multiple times" **really** means.  Get the headers.
> Anytime anyone uses passive tense to describe what is going on - red flags.

ok, i'm now pretty sure that this is a qmail/SMTP issue:

in examining the mboxes of those affected, they each have many copies of
the duplicate emails, so it's not the case that cucipop is simply
making it appear as if they have received the message 100 times;  there
are actually 100 copies of the mail in the box.

the date sent is identical on every message, but the message is actually
being received many times by qmail on our end.

here are two examples of the exact same message being delivered twice
(from this mailing list).  i know that qmail tries to verify delivery, so
some situation must exist where my qmail installation is not providing
that confirmation to the remote mailserver.

here are the messages:

message 1:

>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Mar 07 22:04:21
2001