q question <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1) What are the erroneous assumptions of the Prodygy relay test utility?

It assumes that because the RCPT TO: <...> command succeeded, the mail will be
delivered.  This is not required by RFC821/2821, and is not true of qmail or
any other MTA which does not have knowledge of the possible final delivery
targets during the initial SMTP conversation.

It's also making some broken assumptions about how certain conventions in the
local-part of an SMTP envelope recipient address translate into implicit
relaying requests -- these conventions are not part of the SMTP specification,
and qmail doesn't use them.  The fact that sendmail (or Domino, or Exchange,
or whatever) is broken enough to do so should not implicate properly
implemented SMTP servers.

> 2) How is it so clear that the machine didn't relay mail?

-these types of questions come up every week on this mailing list
-qmail has _never_ relayed mail unless the administrator specifically
configures it to do so.

Charles