>From: Charles Cazabon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: SPAM Patches recomendations.
>Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 09:06:00 -0600
>
>q question <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > 1) What are the erroneous assumptions of the Prodygy relay test utility?
>
>It assumes that because the RCPT TO: <...> command succeeded, the mail will
>be
>delivered.  This is not required by RFC821/2821, and is not true of qmail
>or
>any other MTA which does not have knowledge of the possible final delivery
>targets during the initial SMTP conversation.
>
>It's also making some broken assumptions about how certain conventions in
>the
>local-part of an SMTP envelope recipient address translate into implicit
>relaying requests -- these conventions are not part of the SMTP
>specification,
>and qmail doesn't use them.  The fact that sendmail (or Domino, or
>Exchange,
>or whatever) is broken enough to do so should not implicate properly
>implemented SMTP servers.

I appreciate your describing this in detail. I'm going to need some time to
reflect on these assumptions.

> > 2) How is it so clear that the machine didn't relay mail?
>
>-these types of questions come up every week on this mailing list
>-qmail has _never_ relayed mail unless the administrator specifically
>configures it to do so.

I know the qmail documentation says that the default for qmail is not to
relay. I need to see proof, not just be told to assume that the
documentation is correct. As I said above, I'll need time to reflect on
this. I appreciate that someone else suggested asking ORBS to do a relay
test. However, that doesn't necessarily reassure me that the Prodygy
Solutions relay test results should be ignored. I don't know anything
specific about the Prodygy relay test "failures" but I don't just ignore
something because someone else said to.

I do appreciate your reply and I realize full well that I may end up
deciding to ignore the Prodygy relay test failures someday myself.