On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Tanuj Shah wrote:

> I would have thought, just install qmail somewhere in your home and use
> tcpserver for the listening on port 2525.

Thanks; you solved part of the puzzle for me. On a test system where I
have root access, I was able to run qmail as a send-only SMTP server on
port 2525 using tcpserver.

I can't get it to run on the system where I need it (and don't have root),
though. qMail is hardwired to install into /var/qmail, and there seems to
be no clean way of changing that. I managed to hack the Makefile so that
when I did "make setup check", it went into $HOME/var/qmail instead, but I
think I did something wrong, because when I execute this command:

        csh -cf '$HOME/var/qmail/rc &'

it does not start up the qmail-send, qmail-lspawn etc. processes. If I had
root and qmail refused to start, I could read /var/log/messages, but as a
normal user I can't read that file to see what the problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas? (Is there a way to get it to print the errors
to a file that I can read?)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Csaba Bobak wrote:

> In general, it is a strange idea to set up a mail gateway without
> notifying the root (even if it is for outgoing mails only). Your
> netadmin will set it up for you if it is really important.

My account is on a commercial webhost. They allow us to run daemons in the
background, but if I asked them to set it up for me it would be expensive.

-Philip Mak ([EMAIL PROTECTED])