Philip Mak writes:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Tanuj Shah wrote:
>
>> I would have thought, just install qmail somewhere in your home and use
>> tcpserver for the listening on port 2525.
>
> Thanks; you solved part of the puzzle for me. On a test system where I
> have root access, I was able to run qmail as a send-only SMTP server on
> port 2525 using tcpserver.
>
> I can't get it to run on the system where I need it (and don't have root),
> though. qMail is hardwired to install into /var/qmail, and there seems to
> be no clean way of changing that. I managed to hack the Makefile so that

i guess you should read the INSTALL file. the first advice is:

* The qmail home directory, normally /var/qmail. To change this
directory, edit conf-qmail now.

so you just have to change the first line of conf-qmail to change the
install location.

> it does not start up the qmail-send, qmail-lspawn etc. processes. If I had
> root and qmail refused to start, I could read /var/log/messages, but as a
> normal user I can't read that file to see what the problem is.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? (Is there a way to get it to print the errors

because you cant configure splogger, you have to use another logging tool.
perhaps its possible to run multilog (http://cr.yp.to) as normal user. if,
you could handle your logs with multilog.

> My account is on a commercial webhost. They allow us to run daemons in the
> background, but if I asked them to set it up for me it would be expensive.

good luck.

regards,
philipp

Philipp Steinkrüger