For example, $USER is set by qmail-local when it hands mail to
vdelivermail, but this envariable is left unaltered: when the .qmail
files are processed by vdelivermail, $USER is set to "domain.com" -
which is just silly. Similarly, $HOME is set, but it is incorrect - it
should be the virtual user's home, rather than vpopmail's home (why
would anybody's mail delivering scripts need to know where vpopmail's
home is? if nothing else that can be *EASILY* hardcoded in, it's not
like it's gonna CHANGE for any of the users).

Agreed, it'd be nice if all my tmda virtual user setups could avoid looking like:

.... ~/username/Maildir/ .....

It's probably "technically" correct to leave them as is, just not very
useful, and it makes the domain less "virtual". If these envariables are
fixed by vdelivermail, it would make it *MUCH* easier to move an
existing qmail installation into a virtual setup. With the exception of
qmail-extensions (which are done weirdly under vpopmail), nobody's
.qmail files would need to be manually edited!

Above all, it would wonderful if the envariables were made lowercase so
I (and others) can take those dang "tr" calls out of our scripts. But
some more intelligent environment setup would be a GREAT help.

Well said. :)

Regards,
--
Dave Steinberg