No , you will just end up pulling your hair out , especially if you have
to try and guess paths .. rebuild the entire sa package using rpmbuild

The sa-learn, sa-compile, and sa-update files are created upon SA
installation, so I can't see how just setting up sa-update would rebuild
everything like that unless you used some type of automated sa-update
configurator or something... (?)

The spamassassin executable (perl script) should look something like:

$ strings /usr/bin/spamassassin | grep LOCAL

my $LOCAL_RULES_DIR = '/etc/mail/spamassassin';    # substituted at
'make' time
my $LOCAL_STATE_DIR = '/var/lib/spamassassin';    # substituted at
'make' time
    LOCAL_RULES_DIR     => $LOCAL_RULES_DIR,
    LOCAL_STATE_DIR     => $LOCAL_STATE_DIR,

(This is from a sendmail box, so the paths may be different. I can't get
into my toaster server right now. :\

Cheers,
jp