Jean-Paul van de Plasse wrote:
Hey Jake,

I do not think anyone on this list or using qmt does not apriciate the work you did and are doing..

For me it really is not about the 30$, just never needed an interface, guess I should check qcontrol maybe it will help me alot :) Anyways, as said in an other mail I am just trying to help some who are using vqadmin.. Have been active in the past with patches and helping arround on this list, been busy otherwise but figured I can still contribute some time to qmt.

I do think (as u suggest) a good mailserver needs a basic tool to manage the users, so it would be good to fix vqadmin.
Or to write a replacement, with some basic features.

Guess I should crawl back under the stone I was the past year.. seems this all stirs up things ..
Sorry for that.

I think the topic actually generated some good ideas and traffic. I'm trying to get the project back into giving the community what they ask for - I can't do this if you don't tell me what you want! I know lots of people appreciate the work that I and others do. That's not the issue I was ranting on. It costs actual money to run a project like this, and most people do not understand that. I'm not even counting time spent, just actual server costs.

I'd started 2 or 3 projects in the past to write a replacement for Vqadmin with other people, but they always died on the vine. I found it frustrating. After a specific user went on a long-winded thread on how open source would never work because we wouldn't write a GUI that worked I decided to sit down and learn the skills I lacked to write the thing by myself.

I honestly don't even use my own software to administer my system(s). I run servers for other companies around the world and I always found it easier to use the CLI myself. Mainly out of habit.

The only feature that I can think of that Vqadmin provides that is not covered under Qmailadmin is the ability to create domains.

I'll be starting a "video magazine" for QMT in the very near future with how-to videos, and one of the topics I'll eventually cover is how to add domains using the command line and why to not use Vqadmin.

So I think the major topic we need to hash out is whether to remove the Vqadmin package from the auto-installers or not - correct me if I am wrong.