From: Jake Vickers [mailto:j...@qmailtoaster.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:05 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] Creating e-mail users with VQAdmin vs.
Qmailadmin

Jean-Paul van de Plasse wrote:
> Hey Jake,
>
> I do not think anyone on this list or using qmt does not apriciate the
> work you did and are doing..
>
> For me it really is not about the 30$, just never needed an interface,
> guess I should check qcontrol maybe it will help me alot :) Anyways,
> as said in an other mail I am just trying to help some who are using
> vqadmin..
> Have been active in the past with patches and helping arround on this
> list, been busy otherwise but figured I can still contribute some time
> to qmt.
>
> I do think (as u suggest) a good mailserver needs a basic tool to
> manage the users, so it would be good to fix vqadmin.
> Or to write a replacement, with some basic features.
>
> Guess I should crawl back under the stone I was the past year.. seems
> this all stirs up things ..
> Sorry for that.

I think the topic actually generated some good ideas and traffic. I'm trying
to get the project back into giving the community what they ask for - I
can't do this if you don't tell me what you want!
I know lots of people appreciate the work that I and others do. That's not
the issue I was ranting on. It costs actual money to run a project like
this, and most people do not understand that. I'm not even counting time
spent, just actual server costs.

I'd started 2 or 3 projects in the past to write a replacement for Vqadmin
with other people, but they always died on the vine. I found it frustrating.
After a specific user went on a long-winded thread on how open source would
never work because we wouldn't write a GUI that worked I decided to sit down
and learn the skills I lacked to write the thing by myself.

I honestly don't even use my own software to administer my system(s). I run
servers for other companies around the world and I always found it easier to
use the CLI myself. Mainly out of habit.

The only feature that I can think of that Vqadmin provides that is not
covered under Qmailadmin is the ability to create domains.

I'll be starting a "video magazine" for QMT in the very near future with
how-to videos, and one of the topics I'll eventually cover is how to add
domains using the command line and why to not use Vqadmin.

So I think the major topic we need to hash out is whether to remove the
Vqadmin package from the auto-installers or not - correct me if I am wrong.

     For additional commands, e-mail:
qmailtoaster-list-h...@qmailtoaster.com