From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:40 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: Spambox troubles

Patrick Ring wrote:
> I said "so it stays" because I have been trying to use the
> Squirrelmail "Move" function to move the messages into the Inbox.
> However, it looks like they've moved, but when you check the Inbox the

> message(s) is/are not there.  Clicking back on the Spam folder reveals

> they are right back there.  I can move the marked messages to any
> other folder except the Spam folder.
>
> Any ideas?

My understanding is that messages are only moved to the spambox upon
delivery. My guess is that somehow SM (or the underlying IMAP server)
isn't updating the folder views properly. Which IMAP client are you
running?

> As for IMAP, it seems to confuse the end users when it is time to
> delete messages.  Outlook and Outlook Express just strike them out,
> and then the user has to find the Purge function in a drop menu.  I'm
> working on educating them, but most of them are not young and computer

> savvy. ;-)

I knew that Outlook did that, but wasn't aware of OE doing so. The newer
Win7 mail program (OE equivalent on Win7) handles imap in a better
fashion (like you'd expect it to). Of course TBird also handles imap
well.

I encourage users to use something other than Outlook when they're not
using features that require it (most users use it only for email).
Outlook'03 is particularly troublesome, given its 2G .pst file limit and
the fact that it stores all imap messages in the pst file even though
they're on the server as well. Outlook'07 behaves a bit better in this
regard (you can purge automatically, and full messages aren't stored in
the pst), but it still has limitations, as well as having to compress
the pst file occasionally. Not very user friendly.

FWIW,  you can change the "view" in Outlook so that it doesn't show the
striked-out messages. They still need to be purged, but it appears like
they go away. Also, they don't go into the 'deleted items' folder as
you'd expect. I actually had a user that was using the 'deleted items'
folder as a normal file for archiving! (What part of DELETED do you not
understand?)

I'm not yet aware of a good cure for Outlook users. :( I imagine that
there would be a lot fewer of them if they understood how easily their
pst file could become corrupt, and they'd lose all of their email and
contacts and calendar information. Sometimes scaring them into switching
works.

    Vickers Consulting Group offers Qmailtoaster support and
installations.
     For additional commands, e-mail:
qmailtoaster-list-h...@qmailtoaster.com