Patrick Ring wrote:
I'm running Courier (I haven't had the time to plan out a Dovecot
transition).

I've tested and re-tested what is happening with the spam-marked
messages.  Both from SM and from a ssh session (moved the files
manually).  In both cases, the file ends up back in the .spam folder
within a second of being moved.

That's very odd. I'm having a hard time imagining how that could happen.

Is the message perhaps 'stuck' in the delivery queue, getting re-delivered? Take a close look at the file, and see if the inodes are the same (in which case the file is being moved), or if the inodes change (in which case the file is a copy).

I presume you've checked that the message id is the same in both cases.

Have you tried copying it to the inbox, then deleting it from the spambox? (from a ssh session)

Hopefully when I deploy a new server (over the weekend), this will stop.

My guess is that it will.