Hi Tim....

When I first got my suprapubic in '97 I took the morning off from work.  The
whole procedure was done without anesthesia but they kept careful watch on my
BP... I did get a little AD as a "over-filled" my bladder to begin the
procedure.

I went home with a 12fr foley and went to work that afternoon.  That first
month was a little difficult as I did leak around the stoma at times and
granules would build up and clog the narrow 12fr.  About one month later I
graduated to a 14fr, and then 16fr, and finally settled into using an 18f foley
catheter ever since.  It works well for me but I do still occasionally get
crystallization and granules in the catheter.  That's when I know it's
certainly time to change it... usually every 4 to 6 weeks.

As for cleaning, each day I use a small amount of Neosporin cream and sprinkle
a bit of Tinactin (yep, the foot powder) around it to keep it dry.  I cover it
with a 2" x 2" square of gauze drain sponge cut in such a way that the catheter
comes out the middle (kind of a "T" shaped cut into the center).  Works well
for me.

I have friends who went to get a SP and there was no graduating from smaller to
larger diameters.  They came home with the 24fr.  To me, it looks like a garden
hose!  On the other hand, they rarely get clogged.  So I guess it's 6 of one,
half a dozen of the other.

However you do it, I wish you the best.  I've had wonderful success with mine
and had far fewer "serious" infections and urethral irritations ever since.
I'm sure you'll at least have that to look forward to.  (Not to mention the
"Free Willie Factor")

Best of luck!
--Tod

weeks because my bladder just hasn't been draining well in awhile now. Those