Joan, I certainly admire your positive outlook and tenacious spirit. That
you actually feel better is a miracle. I have a feeling that I won't make
it to 75. I am fine with that. Age 69 will be 50 years and that is enough.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Joan Anglin* <poaj...@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2014
Subject: [QUAD-L] I am shriveling up
To: Larry Willis <lwillis82...@gmail.com>

Well, you guys definitely beat me in terms of longevity with SCI as I am a
mere 24 years, but I think I’d beat you in age, 75. As far as aging with
SCI my body has been very strange over the years. Although I was diagnosed
as a total C4, the last seven or eight years I have been regaining feeling
in very odd spots, no pattern whatsoever. My circulation in my lower legs
has actually improved considerably, and although I have no movement below
my shoulders, my muscles have not yet atrophied in my legs or my arms. I
have to admit I actually feel better than I did seven or eight years ago,
and have learned to control my bowel plan so that it is relatively quick
and easy, and while I use an overnight bag I still continue to intermittent
cath during the day unless we’re going to be going into town for the day.

I have always been a firm believer in trying to read my body and staying
away from as many medicines as possible, and so far that has been
successful and I have not been plagued with Uti’s to any extent. What I
noticed most is that I will choose to stay in bed in the mornings until
7:30 AM (my youngest daughter is my PCA right now and she comes over at
5:45 AM and gets me dressed then goes home to get the children up and then
returns at 730) and I am willing to go to bed at 9:00 PM rather than
getting up at 6:30 AM and going to bed at 10:00 PM. I’m just going to take
getting old one step at a time so to speak, and accept the fact that it is
inevitable-because I’m not ready for the other alternatives. Have a great
day everyone. Joan