>What with one thing & another my Performa 630CD is still not on line but
>now I'm confused.  Browsing 'Jag's House' I came across a posting from a
>Mr.Ray Whitcombe entitled 'PPP Problems' & which listed all the
>difficulties he was having here in the U.K. online generally.  This is
>where the confusion comes in for, in his reply Jag wrote, "FWIW, I wouldn't
>recommend surfing on a 68k Mac to my worst enemy- it's simply a waste of
>time."  So, where do I go from here?  Do I scrap the idea & carry on using
>the PC or do I try with the Mac, or do I say 'Sod it' & look for a G3 or
>something?  Comments, please!
>
>Rog Barclay,
>
>Scotland.

Well, I use a Performa 575 with iCab and it is sometimes slow, but it is
definitely not a waste of time.

I wonder where the limitations really are. I have a 56k modem. Most of the
time I run it at 33.6 because I can't stay connected at faster speeds. I
have wondered about DSL, but it seems like on most web sites there are
bursts of modem activity,followed by 'long' pauses while the computer
figures out how to render the page. I can see how a faster connection would
make a difference on sustained transfers, but how much would it help for
typical browsing?

There are things that I haven't been able to do (at least not well). These
are low priority for me, but I have visited sites that required them and I
was curious. Sometimes it's hard to find a 68k version and even when you
do, the standard that sites are using has superceded it. One example is
Apple's Quicktime movie trailer page.

Other examples include:
Windows Media Player
Shockwave
Real Player Audio

Like so many things computer related, whether or not you will be happy
surfing with a 68k, depends on what you plan do with it, what your
expectations are,
and your tolerance for experimenting. For me, the fun in using a 68k is
seeing just how far I can get with it.

jim