> Hello Quagga-dev,
>
> Objective of this email:
>
> To see if 'view' keyword can be replaced with 'vrf'
>
> Why:
>
>  1. Code and flow to implement VRFs in BGP is turning out to be quite
> similar to how it is for views. VRF in BGP can be considered as a super-set
> of the current views functionality. It should be possible to realize views
> as a special type of VRF, and possibly enable it by a config option.
>
>     This is to reduce the overhead on implementation (and also on usability)
> to provide both view and vrf options at configuration/show/clear/debug
> commands.
>
>  2. While views may be working for some use-cases, the support in 'show
> commands' is not quite complete yet.
>
> More Details:
>
> In a way, this is a follow-up on the VRF discussion we had where we
> suggested we could use the current BGP multi-instance implementation.
>
> Currently, BGP has some support for multiple views. These are implemented as
> separate BGP instances, each with its own set of global configuration,
> neighbors, RIB etc. This effectively makes the mapping of a VRF to a view
> the most logical approach.
>
>      bgp multiple-instance
>
>      router bgp <asn> view <name1>
>       ..
>      router bgp <asn> view <name2>
>

> For VRFs, one obvious choice is to use similar model with vrf keyword:
>
>       router bgp <asn> vrf <name>
>
> If views are currently not being used for any real purpose, they could be
> directly replaced with 'vrf' in the user-interface. A 'type' field for the
> VRF could be introduced later to support other possibilities. If views are
> being used/deployed now, we'd like to know more about how they are used. In
> this case, we will think of a backward compatible change to introduce VRFs
> with views.
>
> Thought to poll the community to see if thinking in this direction even
> makes sense.
>
> Feel free to send unicast responses/or respond to the thread as is.

I think that it would be better to clean-up the current set of
commands in bgpd before adding anything new. I'd be happy if someone
resurrect my idea of a XML based CLI:
https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2012-June/009543.html

As of now bgpd is a big mess, it's missing a lot of commands for BGP
views and non-IPv4 address families. Adding more commands on top of
that would only make everything worse.

--
Renato Westphal