> Does anyone think an in-memory key-value store, with types, ranges,
> allowed-value sets, defaults, "has been set?" indication, and ability to
> register listeners for changes, would _not_ be the right direction to go in?

Since we are brainstorming here I will throw this out there for
thought....what about a relational database?  I did a routing stack (bgp,
ospf and a rib) in python using sqlite for the database.  Storing all of
the bgp state and the routing table in a real database saved me a TON of
development time.  The ability to just add a column, index, etc to a table
was a big win.  Also any possible query question you can conceive of has
already been asked and answered on stackoverflow :)

Daniel