On Mon, 23 Nov 2015, Renato Westphal wrote:

I think that it would be better to clean-up the current set of commands in bgpd before adding anything new. I'd be happy if someone resurrect my idea of a XML based CLI: https://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2012-June/009543.html

As of now bgpd is a big mess, it's missing a lot of commands for BGP
views and non-IPv4 address families. Adding more commands on top of
that would only make everything worse.

So, it would be good to cleanup things and get to a point where the internals of Quagga were easier to export and manipulate via various means.

At present, in tree we have our existing config file and CLI that have intimate and specific knowledge of the internals, and SNMP with again its own very specific knowledge of the internals, and Zserv, etc. The question is, what could we do to make it easier to allow data-structures in Quagga to be discoverable, exported and modified by other tools - while minimising the amount of specific knowledge of each data-structure those tools might need to have?

How could we best support access via a variety of different CLIs, IPCs, etc.?

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      p...@jakma.org  @pjakma Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: