On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:18:34 AM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:50:20 PM UTC-4, tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> > Secure boot is a stupid Microsoft controlled project to eventually
> > remove the ability for commercial PC's to run non windows operating systems.
> >
> > SB 1.0 specs mandate owner controlled (an option to shut it off), SB2.0
> > doesn't and PC's built to that spec such as the Windows 10 ARM PC's and
> > MS's "signature series" PC's prevent you from installing non microsoft
> > operating systems.
> >
> > "Secure" boot is simply a marketing name for kernel code signing, you
> > can easily do this with coreboot and a grub payload (grub supports
> > kernel signing).
> >
> > SB doesn't stop virii as that wasn't what it was designed to do,
> > preventing rootkits from modding the kernel is irrelevant as you can
> > simply change another critical system file of which there are
> > many on windows.
> >
> > Kernel code signing is only useful in an AEM context with an encrypted
> > filesystem but unencrypted kernels.
> >
> > I myself have a variety of owner controlled fully libre firmware devices
> > such as the KGPE-D16 and KCMA-D8 asus motherboards, those two are the
> > only ones that offer full libre functionality along with high
> > performance - they also run qubes great - having 32 cores and 128GB ram
> > is excellent for it.
> > Please note these are the only owner controlled devices that support
> > v4.0 (purism isn't owner controlled and their firmware isn't and can't
> > ever be open source)
> > Another neat feature is an addon user configurable CRTM TPM module (very
> > rare).
> >
> > As always I offer free tech support for libre motherboards if you wish
> > to buy one.
>
> Stopped reading past your first sentence, because reality has already proven
> that wrong.

ok I read on lol...My raspberry pi is an arm processor, its running linux.

Easy do a secureboot with coreboot he says.  Ya i'm sure we can all easily do
that. /sarcasm

You say preventing modifications to the kernel is irrelevant.  Which means you
are failing to understand that the operating system is irrelevant.