Thanks Yuraeitha for the thoughtful reply!

Hm. It doesn't seem to work in the other templates. I think it is a driver
issue. I've tried volume etc.; and switching through the pulseaudio menus shows
only 'simultaneous output' devices (which DO have actively fluctuating 'volume
bars' when playback is happening!). Under 'config' there is 'no sound cards
available for configuration'.
I've been trying some things and let me try to clarify:

'lspci' lists '00:1b:0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Serices/c210 Series
Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev04)'
I interpret that as the audio card being on the chipset (hence 'plugged in'
automatically).

'aplay -l' however lists "no soundcards found". So alsa doesn't see it?

Alsa is a deeper level than pulseaudio generally, right? So if alsa doesn't see
it then it makes sense that pulseaudio doesn't either.

So: how to get alsa/pulseaudio to see it?

Thanks again for the gracious help!
- Allen