On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 6:58:11 PM UTC+1, Allen Larocque wrote:
> Thanks Yuraeitha for the thoughtful reply!
>
> Hm. It doesn't seem to work in the other templates. I think it is a driver
> issue. I've tried volume etc.; and switching through the pulseaudio menus
> shows only 'simultaneous output' devices (which DO have actively fluctuating
> 'volume bars' when playback is happening!). Under 'config' there is 'no sound
> cards available for configuration'.
> I've been trying some things and let me try to clarify:
>
> 'lspci' lists '00:1b:0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Serices/c210 Series
> Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev04)'
> I interpret that as the audio card being on the chipset (hence 'plugged in'
> automatically).
>
> 'aplay -l' however lists "no soundcards found". So alsa doesn't see it?
>
> Alsa is a deeper level than pulseaudio generally, right? So if alsa doesn't
> see it then it makes sense that pulseaudio doesn't either.
>
> So: how to get alsa/pulseaudio to see it?
>
> Thanks again for the gracious help!
> - Allen
>
> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 04:16:15 UTC-8, Yuraeitha  wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 10:42:30 AM UTC+1, Allen Larocque wrote:
> > > Hi Qubes,
> > > First time installer here, trying to get my sound to work. Strangely,
> > > speakers are broken, but headphones work fine.
> > >
> > > Anytime I move my sound device from 'available' to 'selected' in a given
> > > VM, the VM won't load and I get the 'qeexec demon' error. Same thing when
> > > I move various other devices over (tested with USB ones). I should need
> > > the audio device moved over in order for it to work in a given VM, right?
> > >
> > > Any thoughts? Running 3.2 on a Zenbook UX31A.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Allen
> >
> > Also if you moved the soundcard to a direct pass-through, and the soundcard
> > hardware does not support the PCI pass-through feature. Then you need to
> > make a full restart of Qubes OS (fully power down power in order to clean
> > hardware memory). This is due to security reasons. If this is hitting you,
> > then you may want to first undo the pass-through you made of your
> > soundcard, and then make a full restart before trying the above suggestions.

np's :)

Try compare "qvm-pci list" with lspci, it's the same list, but it'll show you
if the Qubes tools register the sound card. Also try look in the Qubes menu -->
Systems Tools --> Pulseaudio Manager. See if the sound server is connected or
disconnected here.

I can't write much more right now as I'm on the road and need to close the lid
and move now, but checking these might get us a little closer with more
information.

I can confirm I see my own soundcards with "aplay -l", so this command should
indeed be working in Qubes it seems?

It sounds like a problem that is out of my league though, but I'll try to help
where I can.