On Thursday, 1 March 2018 19:04:01 UTC-8, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki  wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 03:31:22PM -0800, Allen Larocque wrote:
> > Hi Yuraeitha,
> > Thanks for your continued help!
> >
> > Ah, I think there is a misunderstanding: there is no USB soundcard as far
> > as I understand it; only what is on the mainboard. So there should only be
> > one soundcard.
> >
> > I am currently running a sys-usb VM however!
> >
> > Under DOM0 pauvaudio volume control, under the 'output devices' tab, there
> > is no 'hardware' devices listed, only the 'simultaneous output' virtual
> > device. The virtual device however is still showing fluctuating volume bar,
> > so it's 'hearing' things correctly.
> >
> > Strangely too, now my headphones don't seem to work (they did previously).
>
> Generally you shouldn't need to attach sound card to specific VM -
> that's what "devices" tab in VM settings is. If you do that, only that
> VM will have access to it and none of others.
>
> What should should do instead, is to leave sound card in dom0 (unassign
> from any VM you've assigned to - see qvm-pci list output), then you need
> to reboot to get dom0 driver attached to the device. After this,
> headphones should work again.
>
> Then, lets debug speakers issue - open pulseaudio volume control - now
> you should have 'Output Devices' and 'Configuration' tabs. In both of
> them you'll see settings related to what output should be used - try
> changing it there.
>
> - --
> Best Regards,
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> Invisible Things Lab
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Thanks Marek.

I checked the qvm-pci lists and the audio driver isn't assigned to any VMs.
This is a fresh install with the sys-USB VM on.

As far as I can summarize the problem now:
1. lspci shows the audio device.
2. aplay-l shows 'no audio device'
3. Pulseaudio output and config tabs show no audio devices (except the virtual
one 'simultaneous output').

I've been interpreting this as a driver issue? But unsure how to fix/ get the
appropriate drivers....

- A