On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:55:09 PM UTC+1, Allen Larocque wrote:
> Thanks for the help.
>
> The intel audio pci device is indeed listed in the qvm-pci list, and the
> pulseaudio manager is 'connected', However, under 'devices' there's nothing
> about the intel device - just 'combined monitor' as the source
>

> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 10:09:37 UTC-8, Yuraeitha  wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 6:58:11 PM UTC+1, Allen Larocque wrote:
> > > Thanks Yuraeitha for the thoughtful reply!
> > >
> > > Hm. It doesn't seem to work in the other templates. I think it is a
> > > driver issue. I've tried volume etc.; and switching through the
> > > pulseaudio menus shows only 'simultaneous output' devices (which DO have
> > > actively fluctuating 'volume bars' when playback is happening!). Under
> > > 'config' there is 'no sound cards available for configuration'.
> > > I've been trying some things and let me try to clarify:
> > >
> > > 'lspci' lists '00:1b:0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Serices/c210
> > > Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev04)'
> > > I interpret that as the audio card being on the chipset (hence 'plugged
> > > in' automatically).
> > >
> > > 'aplay -l' however lists "no soundcards found". So alsa doesn't see it?
> > >
> > > Alsa is a deeper level than pulseaudio generally, right? So if alsa
> > > doesn't see it then it makes sense that pulseaudio doesn't either.
> > >
> > > So: how to get alsa/pulseaudio to see it?
> > >
> > > Thanks again for the gracious help!
> > > - Allen

> > np's :)
> >
> > Try compare "qvm-pci list" with lspci, it's the same list, but it'll show
> > you if the Qubes tools register the sound card. Also try look in the Qubes
> > menu --> Systems Tools --> Pulseaudio Manager. See if the sound server is
> > connected or disconnected here.
> >
> > I can't write much more right now as I'm on the road and need to close the
> > lid and move now, but checking these might get us a little closer with more
> > information.
> >
> > I can confirm I see my own soundcards with "aplay -l", so this command
> > should indeed be working in Qubes it seems?
> >
> > It sounds like a problem that is out of my league though, but I'll try to
> > help where I can.

I apologies for the delay. I divided this post into two sections, one if you
got USB controller in dom0, and the other if you got the USB controller in an
AppVM. You'll need the link if you got your USB controller anywhere else but
your dom0. If you got a sys-usb, then your USB controller is likely tied to
that VM. If you don't have a sys-usb, and you didn't move the USB controller
yourself, then the USB controller is still likely tied to dom0. The Qubes
installer can automatically make a sys-usb at first system boot, but it won't
always do it, for example if the USB controller can't be pass-through or if
something important is tied to it, like touch devices often are.

Assuming your USB controller is indeed not located in dom0, then I believe your
issue is actually a split two-part issue. It might be that system sound isn't
working as you also suggested by being a driver issue, but your second issue is
that your other soundcard, which is based on USB, won't work because you got
your USB controller in sys-sub, and if the sound is passed to the sys-usb from
your USB soundcard, then it can't communicate with your speakers since it's cut
off from dom0. There is a small adjustment, which I haven't tried my self, that
can make this work. See the link below for the official method to do this.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/external-audio/

I'm not 100% sure, but this might be why you can't get your second soundcard
working, the USB one. As for your system soundcard, it might be as you
suggested a driver issue? It seems odd that it's tied to your monitor too.

But does the guide in the link help your USB soundcard?