Thanks but unfortunately I don't know that issue helps, as those who were
able to resolve it did so by updating which I cannot do since sys-net fails
to start.

This issue, https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3349 , seems to
cover that problem but nothing's mentioned about net & firewall failing to
start.