On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:55:14 -0800 (PST)
Bryce <scott.lewis.engin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 11:42:32 AM UTC-5, Bryce wrote:
> > > That's odd.  You say you are installing 4.01, yet the qubes
> > > manager shows that fedora is only release 26.  I thought that
> > > Qubes 4.01 had Fedora 29 in it.
> > >
> > > Mike.
> >
> > Well Mike that could be it; you made me check when you said that,
> > the image I used was "Qubes-R4.0-x86_64.iso" from 11/27/18. I
> > checked the about in qubes itself is 4.0 (R4.0). Looks like I
> > screwed up on which version I created the image from, I wrote down
> > 4.01 but that's not what I used- too much spiked eggnog maybe.
> > Since it doesn't seem to be possible for me to update with the VM's
> > not starting for USB or Net, I will get the latest image and and
> > reinstall to see if there's any issue. Thanks for pointing out my
> > goof, I'll try that today and see if the results are any
> > different!
>
> I Reinstalled w/ 4.01 (downloaded today) and sadly I seem to have the
> same issue. Here's what I did:
> * During install I realized what I had forgot before, that previous
> occasions I had to turn off "Intel VT for Direct I/O" in bios in
> order to get the installer to even work. If I don't turn that off,
> the screen goes black and nothing happens no matter which option I
> pick from the setup list- normal install, test & install, and basic
> graphics install all do the same. So I turn it off, and the install
> works fine until the language selections screen then I get an error
> that (I think) IOMMU or it's remapping support are missing, only
> advanced or devs etc should proceed. Thought I grabbed a pic but it
> didn't turn out. I go through the install until it needs to reboot,
> then immediately go back into bios and enable VT-d, and let it boot
> as normal. On the previous installations I don't think I did it
> before completing install, only after. It boots up fine, completes
> install with one error- during the templates setup I get the attached
> error about sys-firewall not starting up again due to libxenlight. I
> login, get to desktop and open qubes manager- all without more
> errors. Only dom0 is running again. Trying to start sys-net or
> sys-firewall gives me the same errors as before about libxenlight
> failing to start the qubes, even though VT-d is turned on. I tried
> unman's earlier suggestion of removing and re-adding the NIC, no luck.
>
> I hope someone has another idea, is there a way to force vt-d on in
> qubes? Some screenshots attached.

Ah, what a shame.  It does seem as if your iommu is a problem.

Without any other ideas, the only thing I can suggest is that you try
the latest Qubes 3.2 just to allow you to try out Qubes.  It doesn't
require the vt-d stuff, so might work on your box.

The other thing you can do is try googling for iommu and your cpu
together to see if others have had problems (not necessarily in
Qubes, just in general use).

      Mike.