On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 10:31:33 AM UTC-5, Mike Keehan wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 07:17:00 -0800 (PST)
> scott wrote:

> > >  >

> > > Test whether issue is with NIC by removing the card from sys-net
> > > and confirming that sys-firewall starts (after sys-net).
> > > Shutdown both.
> > > Re-attach NIC to sys-net.
> > > Report back.
> > >

> > > You can extract logs from dom0 by creating a qube with NO netvm, and
> > > using qvm-copy-to-vm to transfer the log to that qube.  Attach USB
> > > device to the qube (using devices widget) and copy log off system.
> >
> > Thanks Mike, here's the results:
> > * Trying to start the USB VM results in error: ERROR: Start failed:
> > internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain 'USBlogs',
> > see /var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log for details (at least I
> > know why I couldn't get it to work the 1 time I tried before OP).
> > * Trying to start -net resulted in the same error, with the NIC
> > removed.
> > * Trying to start -firewall resulted in the error saying -net
> > couldn't start, pointing to libxenlight's log also.
> >
> > Other things I observed again but not sure I detailed enough before:
> > * Sys-net won't save with any setting but none for networking, but
> > firewall gives me the error that networking is disabled and must be
> > enabled, isn't that normal though since that's the network VM? The
> > other 4 options give me the same "loops in network are unsupported"
> > error for any of 'default (sys-firewall), sys-firewall, sys-net,
> > sys-whonix'.
> > * Sys-firewall gives me config error that it's connected to sys-net
> > which doesn't support firewall (I assume due to above).
> >

> Actually, it was unman who suggested looking at the logs:)
>
>   If you set sys-firewall's networking to none, can you start it
>   successfully?
>   Do you have enough memory?  Use xentop to see how much is free.
>   Does your bios have vtx and iommu enabled OK?
>   What VMs startup when you boot apart from dom0?
>
> Mike.

Weirdly, I replied but it said msg was deleted, perhaps because I posted a link
to images of xentop and errors; must not be allowed.
* Yes, xentop shows the correct amount of physical memory I think; 15623796k (I
have 16g (4x4) installed to this desktop).
* With -firewall @ none, it fails to start giving me the libxenlight error for
failed to start.
* Vt-x & -d are enabled in bios. During install one of the 2 times (by date I
think the 1st time via USB install), the installer complained about IOMMU
remapping missing, but it installed and boots fine now, not sure if that's cuz
I reinstalled via DVD or not.
* No VM's other than dom0 will run unfortunately :(