> That's odd.  You say you are installing 4.01, yet the qubes manager
> shows that fedora is only release 26.  I thought that Qubes 4.01 had
> Fedora 29 in it.
>
> Mike.

Well Mike that could be it; you made me check when you said that, the image I
used was "Qubes-R4.0-x86_64.iso" from 11/27/18. I checked the about in qubes
itself is 4.0 (R4.0). Looks like I screwed up on which version I created the
image from, I wrote down 4.01 but that's not what I used- too much spiked
eggnog maybe.
Since it doesn't seem to be possible for me to update with the VM's not
starting for USB or Net, I will get the latest image and and reinstall to see
if there's any issue.
Thanks for pointing out my goof, I'll try that today and see if the results are
any different!