January 25, 2020 4:09 PM, "M" <anneeyr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I have tried to install R4.0.3 in legacy mode with the same result. And I
> have also tried the
> other installation possibilities that the DVD offer with the same result.
> Can I somehow save the logs on a USB-drive as I’m running the installer from
> a DVD, or is it only
> possible to get access to the log files afterwards by installing Qubes OS
> from a USB-drive ?
>
> 2) I have tried to look for the “xen.cfg” file you mentioned, but can’t find
> a file with that name
> in the downloaded ISO-file. Where to find it or is it called something else ?

Make sure you're looking in the first partition (/dev/sdb1). I'm not sure what
directory it's in on the installer and I don't have a copy of it handy. On an
installed system it's under (/dev/sdb1)/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg. Note this is for
R4.0 only.

You might want to start a new thread about that, so someone with more
experience in the installer can help you with that.

> 3) By “R4.1 pre-release” do you then mean “R4.0.1” ?

No, R4.1 is an upcoming version that hasn't been released yet, but has unstable
builds available.

https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/5493/asset/iso/Qubes-4.1-20200113-x86_64.iso

R4.0.x versions are the same as R4.0, but with updates preinstalled.

> I have tried to load R4.0.1 in legacy mode and when the grub boot menu
> appears, there isn’t any
> option labeled “Qubes R4.1, with Xen Hypervisor”. Just the same installer
> menu as on the later
> versions. And if I press “e”, nothing seems to happen.

It might be called something different. It'll most likely be the default menu
entry which is already highlighted, usually the first in the list.

I have no idea why "e" doesn't work. Can you move up and down to different menu
entries?

> 4) I’m also not totally sure where to add “nomodeset” when you just say at
> the end of the kernel
> line (it looks something like “multiboot2 vmlinuz”)... Sorry, could you be a
> little more precise on
> where I shall write it? Maybe show it in a picture... Just to make sure I add
> it the right place.

Here's a copy from an installed R4.1 system, but the entry in the installer
should look similar. nomodeset is on the second-to-last "module2" line (don't
type the asterisks). In legacy mode this line will start with "linux /vmlinuz-"
(I think) but works the same way. If you add it in the wrong place, don't worry
just reboot and try again.

menuentry 'Qubes, with Xen hypervisor' --class qubes --class gnu-linux --class
gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option
'xen-gnulinux-simple-2136e4d1-da52-4921-90c1-f7617ab8a31f' {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,gpt2'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt2
--hint-efi=hd0,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt2
039dd247-6c6e-40c5-a8ec-890d4462da53
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ...
        fi
        echo    'Loading Xen 4.13.0 ...'
        if [ "$grub_platform" = "pc" -o "$grub_platform" = "" ]; then
            xen_rm_opts=
        else
            xen_rm_opts="no-real-mode edd=off"
        fi
        multiboot2      /xen-4.13.0.gz placeholder  console=none
dom0_mem=min:1024M dom0_mem=max:4096M iommu=no-igfx ucode=scan smt=off
${xen_rm_opts}
        echo    'Loading Linux 4.19.89-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64 ...'
        module2 /vmlinuz-4.19.89-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64 placeholder root=UUID=...
ro rd.luks.uuid=luks-... plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles rhgb quiet
**nomodeset**
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        module2 --nounzip   /initramfs-4.19.89-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img
}