January 23, 2020 4:57 PM, "M" <anneeyr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Claudia
>
> It seems you got Qubes OS working with your AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with integrated
> Vega 8 Graphics.
>
> I have bought a AMD Ryzen 3200G also with Vega 8 Graphics, and I have tried
> install Qubes 4.0.1 and
> 4.0.2 on the pc (from a DL-DVD both in UEFI and Legacy mode), but without any
> luck so far.
>
> In UEFi the cursor ends up blinking on a black screen.
>
> In Legacy mode I end up just before loading the graphical interface by
> getting an error message:
> Failing to load kernel modules/X startup failed -> Aborting installation.
>
> For screenshots, see here:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4510
>
> I have also tried the other possibilities to install Qubes that the two
> ISO-DVD’s offer. But that
> also ended with the same result.
>
> Maybe I can learn from your experiences...
>
> I have tried to read your threads in this post, but as a newbie it isn’t
> explained in a way that I
> can try to follow.
>
> So I hope you will explain to me what I can try to do to make Qubes OS
> running on my pc.
>
> Here is my hardware settings in case it should be relevant:
>
> Motherboard: Asrock X570M Pro4
> CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G w. integrated Vega 8 Graphics
> Ram: 32 GB G.Skill
> Hard drive: SSD + HDD

For me, the boot and install mostly just worked out of the box. I never
experienced the installer drop to shell or "X failed to start" or anything like
that. I did have the installer screen freeze sometimes on one version, I think
4.0.2-rc2, but I was able to get past it and never really investigated the
cause. In my case, it was the post-installation stuff that took some real
troubleshooting. So I don't have much to offer beyond the generic
troubleshooting tips.

I looked at your thread, but it doesn't appear to have /tmp/X.log, please post
that if you can. You're at least making it to the console, so that's good. I
would definitely try booting with nomodeset if you haven't already. It can fix
a wide variety of different X-related problems.

Also please mention what Qubes ISO versions and kernel versions you've tried.
You may want to try an R4.1 pre-release build. Look for the link Brendan posted
earlier in this thread. You may also want to try installing Qubes on a
different machine, upgrading to kernel-latest, and then moving the disk or USB
drive to the target machine.

For what it's worth, the "[Firmware bug]" and "ACPI Error" lines are quite
common, if not universal, on Ryzen systems. However they don't seem to be
related to any specific problems in practice, so I wouldn't worry too much
about those. The "Failed to load kernel modules" error seems to be common in
Qubes and even other OSes, regardless of hardware, so I wouldn't worry about
that either. I doubt any of those are directly related to the X failure you're
experiencing.

I can also say, sys-usb causes all manner of problems on my machine and for
some other Ryzen users as well. So when you do finally make it to that point, I
definitely would not recommend enabling that option until you have everything
else working.