January 24, 2020 3:02 PM, "M" <anneeyr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use DVD’s so that the files can’t be edited or a malicious file can’t be
> placed on the
> installation media in case it’s inserted in a compromised pc. But yes, it
> seems to require a lot of
> disc as Qubes OS not always develops linear. :j

This is good security practice. I recommend it if you don't mind the
inconvenience.

> Regarding editing ISO-files, I’m not as technical as you. So that would
> require some detailed
> instructions.

The process for editing the ISO kernel parameters is described in
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/ , except in your case you
are adding the "nomodeset" option instead of the ones they tell you in the
guide (based on your symptoms). Add "nomodeset" to the end of each "kernel="
line in xen.cfg.

Note: after you rebuild the ISO, optionally you may want to run it in a VM to
make sure you got everything right, before you burn a DVD. Don't expect it to
actually work correctly, but just make sure you're able to select the "Install
Qubes" boot menu entry and that it doesn't complain about a bad config file or
anything. If everything goes as it should, most likely you'll get a "sorry,
this system doesn't support virtualization" type of message because it's
already running in a VM. If so, that's good, burn to DVD.

However, that being said...

Honestly, the easiest thing right now would be download the R4.1 pre-release,
burn it, try it with default settings first, and if you get the same problem as
before, add nomodeset. To do that just press 'e' when you see the grub boot
menu (with option "Qubes R4.1, with Xen hypervisor" highlighted) and then add
"nomodeset" at the end of the kernel line (it looks something like "multiboot2
vmlinuz ...").

> Just to rule the option out: Could it be possible that when installing from a
> burned ISO-file the
> installation fails, while installing from a USB with a transferred ISO-file
> using Rufus in dd-mode
> the installation of Qubes OS succeed ? - If so, I would try that first. But
> then I have to buy a
> new USB flash drive.

In this situation, I kind of doubt it. The problem seems to be at a higher
level than that, since you're getting to an anaconda console at least. It's
probably kernel version issue or graphics driver issue.