January 24, 2020 12:55 PM, "M" <anneeyr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your answer.
>
> What do you mean by “nomodeset” ? - is it regarding legacy and UEFI mode
> or... ?

In 4.0, to enable nomodeset you have to edit the bootloader files files in the
installation media. I just realized, since you're using DVDs instead of USB,
this is going to be a lot more difficult. You'll have to unpack the ISO, modify
the boot loader file, and then repack the ISO and burn it. I would recommend
using a USB drive in this case if you can. That way you can do the
modifications directly to the USB drive, and you don't have to waste additional
DVDs.

In R4.1, you just have to press 'e' at the boot menu, and you can make last
minute changes to the boot parameters without modifying anything. This would
probably be the easiest option.

nomodeset is a kernel command line option that disables kernel-modesetting and
prevents graphics drivers from being loaded, so they just use a basic minimal
driver essentially. In 4.0 this would be the "kernel=" line of the xen.cfg file.

> As I only have tried with Qubes OS stable version 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 and is now
> going to try 4.0.3 the
> kernel version is 4.19. How can I try to install Qubes with a newer kernel.

I'm not sure if there's any easy way to install a newer kernel into the
installer. The way most people do it is to do the installation on a different
machine, install kernel-latest, and then move the drive to the other machine.
However 4.0.3 should come with a newer LTS kernel at least, so try that first.

When the installer fails, copy or screenshot /tmp/X.log and post it.

> Could an idea be to try to install Linux Mint or Fedora 31 if 4.0.3 doesn’t
> work either ? - just to
> make sure they work and rule basic things out.

R4.0 is based on Fedora 25, so you could try booting that just to make sure it
works, just to rule that out. However there's still a big difference between
Qubes and Fedora 25, so it won't tell us very much.