You can update the templatevm while dependant vm is running. Appvms are using a
read only version of last updated templatevm, which is why you see recycling
arrows on appvms in qubesos vms tray icon after applying template upgrades.

As long as your sys-usb stays alive you will keep alive your keyboard and
mouse. Follow instructions for upgrade, launch another appvm depending on
template for safeguard testing, and reboot yiur machine and you should be good
to go!