On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 12:39:54 AM UTC-4, seshu wrote:

> One question that just occured to me about upgrading the template VM's.
> Many of the comments and posts in this forum are assuming Qubes is
> installed on a laptop. I have it installed on a desktop, and my keyboard /
> mouse uses sys-usb. I need to have this appVM running to use the peripheral
> obviously. But, since the appVM is running, I can't update the templateVM?
>
> Is their any workaround, or do I need to go get a ps/2 keyboard and then
> turn off sys-usb, update the template and then restart it? Is that the only
> option I have? IT seems like there could be a better way?

If you have a desktop, you probably have at least one pcie slot available
for an additional USB controller, yes? Some laptops already have multiple
pci controllers for usb, and some have expresscard slots that can accept an
additional usb controller. This works for all these cases:

Clone the template.
Do the update in the clone of the template.
If successful continue, otherwise stop.
Create a sys-usb2 based on the cloned/updated template.
Attach your secondary USB controller to it.
Make sure a backup keyboard/mouse is properly seen in that controller.

If that works:
-Set up your system autostart both sys-usb (using primary usb) and sys-usb2
(using secondary usb).
-Set up your system to allow keyboard/mouse from both sys-usb and sys-usb2
(see qubes documentation)

If that doesn't work:
-Stop

Set your sys-usb template to the updated clone, so both sys-usb (with
primary usb controller) and sys-usb2 (with secondar usb controller) can
provide keyboard and mouse to the system, including LUKS password.

Reboot.

Once you are sure everything works, you can get rid of your secondary
sys-usb2 if you want.