@Miguel  thanks!

and thanks to everyone who provided feedback, this was really educational
for me. I'm not quite a qubes newbie, but I'm not an expert either.

The idea from Brend was too sophisticated for me and so I was nervous about
it. I decided to go with Miguel's approach and that was great. One change
though. The qvm-stop is now qvm-shutdown, so the instructions I needed to
use are:

$ qvm-shutdown --wait sys-usb; \
qvm-prefs sys-usb template fedora-31; \
qvm-start sys-usb

it all work quick and painlessly. This really should be added to the
instructions for updating a templateVM.  I'll see if I can add that into
the documentation.

Thanks again everyone!