unruh wrote:

If I recall correctly his problem was that he had 4 outside sources plus
the local time. Then something disconnected him from those outside
sources for a long time ( hours) After that was fixed, the system never
again went back to those outside sources-- gave zero reachability even
after they were reconnected, as if ntpd gave up on them after it could
not reach them for a while.

It had fallen back to a 1024 second poll interval, so it might be as simple as he failed to wait until a successful poll was made. He was possibly expecting it to find the servers within tens of seconds.

One could possibly argue that a response from another server, after the local clock became selected, ought to force the poll interval down.

I don't know if ntpd handles the poll interval differently when there is a local clock selected as against when there is no source, but it should probably not.