Your proposals so far all sound like hacks to me.

There's nothing wrong with a Hack. But if we want to solve this problem
for good and check it in to Mental/Trunk.  We should solve it the right
way.

And the only thing that makes sense to me is to add an "order" column to
the "pages" table.

This column should be the default order of everything, and should be
auto-populated as you create new pages.

All of this is simple and straightforward.

The real question in my mind is how it should look from an interface
perspective.

Should you be able to drag and drop pages from within the tree view?
Sounds complicated and potentially confusing, but perhaps it could be
done...

So, I think there would need to be a seperate page for ordering.  Where
somehow you say "I want to order all the children of this page". And you
go to a screen where you can drag-drop re-order them.

So, where should the magic "I want to order all the children of this
page" button be?  Should it be somewhere in the tree view, somewhere on
the edit page screen?  What should it look like?  What should it be
called?

Thoughts people? I could totally implement this...

John Long, what's your client's budget for this feature?  : )
Would he want it added to Mental or to Trunk?