To address the lack of back lit buttons, I believe this was based on the
decision to meet a price point, make assembly easier, and increase
battery life. They were not forgotten it was a product and bussiness
decision.

As to having to have an Internet connection, my opinion is that
decision is based on 3 main things. First so that units could be
produced and stock piled with only a firmware that meets the ability to
get logged in and on line so a production firmware can be down loaded
later when the product is released. If it wasn't done this way, they
would just be running them off the line now and we would all be awaiting
a couple more months. Another reason is that this is the first " Smart"
player released and the game has changed. SBS and the new seemless MySB
requied this and remember Touch is coming.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope
2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom