OK, my 2 cents on this discussion.
First, my alarm reliability has been perfect since I went away from the
"sound effects" and am using a sound file on my local server. Hopefully
the other work is making the basic reliability of the alarm 99.99%.
As far as the back-lighted buttons, drop it!  They made that decision
as part of the cost-point trades in the design of the Radio, and it's
done.  It's too late to add at this point.  Also, I've never had a
bedside alarm/clock radio that had back lit buttons anyway.
My use case is to turn the alarm off.  I use the power button.  I find
the pop-up dialog rather useless - even though my radio is on my night
stand, I can't clearly make out the dialog, let alone manipulate things
to select a particular action when I'm just waking up.  The Power button
is easy to find by feel - I press it, and I'm done.
For Snooze, I think pressing the big knob is fine.  I don't currently
use "snooze", but that would be intuitive and easy enough not to defeat
the purpose (get me a few more minutes before I have to think... push
the button, go back to sleep for a few minutes......)
I DON'T like the idea of rotating the Knob Left or Right for particular
actions in this case - I think it would too easy to "miss" the desired
action.
I don't currently use the "just play" alarm case, but I can see the
usefulness.  In that case, I'd think "do nothing" would be fine... do I
understand that currently there is some type of "alarm timeout" where
this stream would stop after 60 minutes?  That doesn't seem right - or
should be configurable.  I can understand wanting to use the alarm to
start a stream playing at a particular time, and I wouldn't want to have
to deal with it just stopping after some timeout.
As far as the time display and the dialog, I agree a better clock would
be useful here.  I don't know if it would be acceptable to put a big
clock on the Pop-Up dialog?  Get rid of the dialog all together, or make
it optional?  If there are default key-presses for Alarm Off (POWER
Button), Snooze (Push Big Knob [within 60 sec of alarm "start"?], "let
it play" (do nothing), then allowing the user to disable the alarm
prompt would enable most/all reasonable use cases?  In this case, your
"now playing" screen saver can already be configured with a big clock if
desired (I use the Custom Clock for my screen saver when playing).

--
tcutting