BLatSD;584653 Wrote:
> It boils down to this.  If you run SBS as your server, you're pretty
> much a happy camper.  If you thought you bought a standalone product
> that functions well with MySB.com, you're pretty much an unhappy
> camper. Since this is a user supported forum, then maybe the "brains"
> amongst you who are happily running SBS as their server could possibly
> offer more substantial solutions to those of us who are tied to
> MySB.com as their server, instead of bashing us with solutions like
> telling us to sell our radio, complain to Logitech (which does no good
> anyhow), or buy a dedicated server.

I don't follow or get this. If a person has an Internet Connection, I
can almost promise you that they just didn't buy it to use an SB Radio
to reach MySB.com. Which means they have at least ONE PC in the house.
Put SBS on it and be done with their problems. If they don't want to
leave it ON all the time, fine. Turn it on when playing music or use
Wake On LAN (WOL) or even turn it on before bedtime and shut it down
after it wakes you up in the morning since your going to work anyway.
Nobody has to "BUY" a dedicated server. One can build one out of an old
unused PC. Or put Vortexbox on an old PC or Laptop.

And as far as going with a new server, one just needs a cheap barebones
PC and Vortexbox and they are done. If one wants to go extreme Green,
use the SheevaPlug, fitPC-2, or build a server from an Atom
Motherboard.

Squeezebox needs a Server, which is a fact since it was first sold.
This is nothing new. People have lost sight of what a Squeezebox is and
what is REQUIRED. Sure with an Internet Connection, ones Squeezebox can
log into MySB.com, but this is NOT the preferred method nor is TinySC
on the Touch. Nothing has really changed since the beginning in that
running a local server is ALWAYS BEST. As time as gone on, MySB.com an
external over the net server is available as is TinySC in the Touch.
TinySC has resource issues when pushed past its limits and MySB.com has
all the issues that come with the Internet IE connection quality, ISP
quality, bandwidth, distance, time-outs, congestion, outages, and on
and on.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio