Well, switching to G-only did NOT fix the problem.  The Radio dropped
off the network while I was fixing dinner.  I rebooted it and it
dropped off again a few minutes later, only to come back by itself
after a while (a common pattern).

As I said in my original post, I am using channel 1 because none of my
neighbors are using it.  My SSID name is unique, there are no problems
with signal strength (83% when it's up), and the router gets rebooted
quite frequently because of this problem.  Any other suggestions?

I think my least expensive/disruptive solution at this point (other
than dumping the Radio and going back to an iPod) might be to buy
another Radio on the assumption that this one is a hardware sample
defect.  But is there any reason to assume that is the case?

--
dlevine