Based on some comments in the post
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97331-Downgrade-UE-Smart-Radio-to-Squeeze-OS&p=727213&viewfull=1#post727213,
I thought it would be easier to call Logitech and ask them if newer
radios could be downgraded.

The phone tech support walked me through the usual debugging steps, and
once stumped by the problem offered to replace the unit.
The tech mentioned that based on the serial number, my problem Radio is
a very recent manufacture.  When I asked him if newer Radios had
downgrade restrictions (as suggested by pippin in the post referenced
above) he replied they did not and should all downgrade properly.

Thanks to all who replied to my post.  I will wait for the replacement
Radio and hope it will downgrade properly.