So glad I found this thread!

I bought a second-hand Radio off fleaBay last week to add to our home's
collection of Boxen, and after setting it up the bass and mid-ranged
dropped out after only about two minutes listening (it was just after
switching from playing BBC Radio 2 to BBC 6 Music). Was all ready to
fire off the disappointed message to the seller assuming they'd sold me
a duffer, but then rebooted it and it's worked fine now for the last 24
hours. I was going to wait and see, assuming that it was hardware about
to fail permanently, but now I know it's likely to be this same software
issue, and that there's an Applet that will provide an easy workaround,
I can be confident that it's going to be fine and I can keep the unit!
:D

Thanks guys!