I've recently rediscovered kickstands after decades of thinking they
were too geeky for my bikes. In fact, I've kind of become sort of a
kickstand evangelist! I've got experience now on several bikes with
three major types of stands, the two you describe and the pletscher
double kickstand. They all work fine, although on a recent tour, I had
to reluctantly admit that the rear triangle stand I had installed on
my wife's bike worked way better than my Swiss stand. The rear
triangle mount works great on uneven ground, on hills and with heavy
touring loads. I used a single leg stand mounted on a kickstand plate.
I had to be much more attentive to how I parked.

Here's a couple of quick tips for doing a good job on your chainstay
mounted stand:

1) Wrap your chainstays to prevent scratching before installing the
kickstand. Actually, only the areas where the kickstand mounting
plates contact the frame need to be protected. I do this by cutting
some "make a gasket" to fit the mounting plates - you'll need to punch
a hole for the bolt (gasket material is sold in the plumbing section
at True Value - it is more durable than other materials).

2) Kickstands often come loose over time. To prevent this, buy a
stainless steel bolt that is long enough to go through both plates
with room to attach a nylock nut. Or, with the supplied bolt, use
Locktite Blue and a lock washer.

3) Install the stand. Before you tighten it down fully with nylocks or
otherwise, check to see if your bike leans securely onto the stand. If
it's too upright, you'll need to trim the kickstand. It is tempting to
do this while the stand is on the bike and with an electric cutting
tool, it works. If you are using a hacksaw, take the stand off to cut
it. You'll do better work and you won't risk damaging your paint. Take
the time to file down the rough cut edges on the stand. This will make
the rubber foot last much longer. Use the rubber foot as it makes the
stand friendlier to floors and it helps keep the stand from sinking
into soft ground.

4) Tighten the stand onto the stays. You want to do this carefully and
incrementally. Tighten and check for play in the plate. If it wiggles
when you check by hand, tighten it a little more, test, and repeat. Be
sure you are checking the plate and not the kickstand itself. The
kickstand has play in it. Watch the mounting plate to see if it moves
on the chainstays. Recheck your kickstand from time to time.

5) Kickstanded bikes often fall because the bike rolls forward or
backward. For really secure kickstand parking, install a simple
parking brake. I use a loop of narrow bungee cord around the bars tied
tight enough to keep the brakes applied. The loop stays on my bars.
When I park, I apply the brakes and I stretch the bungee onto the
brake lever.  The front wheel is usually the culprit, so I ordinarily
use that brake as my parking brake.

That's it!!