The braking position is precisely why I like the M bars. It's similar to
that of mountain bike bars, which lets you brace your weight, grab the
brakes, and have control while going downhill. The Albas don't offer that
braking option. When braking w/ Albas, you are not able to brace your
weight while descending. Plenty of people use Albas off road and live to
tell the tale, but I prefer the braking position of the Ms.

Off-road drops are a whole other consideration, and Philip covers that
pretty well. I've have tried just about every one of the options he
mentions, but find that I always come back to the Moustache Bars. For me
they offer more options.

I like cruising on the outboard position the most, but when I get to a
technical section, having those brakes at hand can't be beat.

If I didn't mention it, here are some pics of the different positions:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/sets/72157605369032545

Cheers,
David

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal