On 04/04/2014 09:34 PM, Patrick Moore wrote:

I tried a 60" fixed gear off road, with 175 mm cranks (I am used to 170s) and hated it -- useless flailing to get nowhere; lower was even worse. But a 63" ss was just right for my riding: few steep and long hills, and fewer steep, long hills with deep sand. The 63" gear (on the Monocog 29er I owned) allowed me to cruise at 18 mph on smooth surfaces but was low enough to bull through (flat) sandy stretches and to climb long, gradual hills easily, and to climb short, steep hills with a sufficient effort. 170 mm cranks (130s, as a matter of fact, with a 39 t ring and an 18 t cog).

60" is so low it feels like useless flailing and 63" is Just Right? Now that is sensitivity <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Pea> for sure.