No doubt a good part of the difference was the shorter cranks. I remember
taking the 60" fixed gear with 175s for the first and only time on a flat,
smooth bike path, for fewer than 5 miles, and getting so frustrated with
the awkward pedaling that very literally the next thing I did with the bike
was to swap in a smaller cog and 170 cranks, which made the bike -- the old
Diamond Back 26er -- a very, very nice ride. The new gear was IIRC about
64".

The later Monocog 29er with the 39X18X29" wheels and 170 road cranks was
also much better.

But crank length apart, yes, I can tell the difference between a 60" gear
and a 63" gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=echQxJZe-wA

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:

>  On 04/04/2014 09:34 PM, Patrick Moore wrote:
>

> I tried a 60" fixed gear off road, with 175 mm cranks (I am used to 170s)
> and hated it -- useless flailing to get nowhere; lower was even worse. But
> a 63" ss was just right for my riding: few steep and long hills, and fewer
> steep, long hills with deep sand. The 63" gear (on the Monocog 29er I
> owned) allowed me to cruise at 18 mph on smooth surfaces but was low enough
> to bull through (flat) sandy stretches and to climb long, gradual hills
> easily, and to climb short, steep hills with a sufficient effort. 170 mm
> cranks (130s, as a matter of fact, with a 39 t ring and an 18 t cog).
>

> 60" is so low it feels like useless flailing and 63" is Just Right?  Now
> that is sensitivity<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Pea>for
> sure.
>

>  --

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Etats Unis