When I was a poor college student, I tended to ride tires until they were
threadbare. (Or should that be "tread-bare"?) Then I realized that the cost
of emergency room visits far exceeds the cost of even the most expensive
FMB tubulars (not that I was riding those). To say nothing about the cost
of patches and aggravation of fixing more flats as the tires get thin and
worn. I started replacing my tires when they started getting more flats
than usual and felt thin when I took them off the rim.

Sheldon's point was that if you run your tires down until they blow out,
you'd be better off with a rear blowout. My point is that you don't want
any blowouts. It's not worth risking an accident to squeeze the last dollar
or two of life out of your tire.

So I recommend replacing your tires before they blow out. To do that, you
need to keep an eye on them. If you have fenders, you don't ever see the
rear tire tread unless you lay down the bike or remove the wheel. Thus, I
recommended putting the new tire on the rear. The front tire is always
visible - even with full fenders. Thus, you'll see when the tread pattern
disappears, and you'll definitely see if the casing shows through the
rubber. And obviously, when the front tire is thin, check the rear one,
too!

Please don't try to set mileage records, but be reasonable. You don't drive
your car and try to see how many miles you can squeeze out of a tank of gas
when you go through Death Valley, either. You fill up at the gas station
with the sign "Last gas for 180 miles" and then enjoy the scenery without
worrying about whether you'll make it back to civilization on the last drop
of gas.

These days, I just replace each tire individually when it gets worn.
Currently, the new tire is on the front, but once the rear tire gets worn,
there will be a newer tire on the rear.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly