On 08/15/2014 04:10 PM, Patrick Moore wrote:
Because theoretically you end up with the 2 tires wearing out at the same time, thus avoiding the annoyance of being left with an unusable rear and a usable front.

And when you're getting there, you have a nearly worn through, squared off tire up front and in back? No thanks! Unless you are an inveterate tire-hopper or are planning to quit using that bike when those two tires wear out, you just put the usable tire in the back and put a new one just like it on the front, and life continues to be good. Where's the annoyance in that?

Well, if you insist on matchy-matchy and your tire company keeps changing the look of the tires, I suppose you could end up throwing away a perfectly usable tire. I suffered for a couple of thousand miles with a yellow Axial Carbon in back and a gray Pro2Race in front on that account, and it did make me grit my teeth every time I looked at the bike. But I persevered, and eventually did wear that yellow-stripe tire out.

Of course, I don't use armored Schwalbe tires, either...