Hi Jay,
It's a 48cm Hunqapillar, which is designed around 26"/559BSD wheels. My PBH
is just under 81, SH is 69-70 for road (low end w/Thin Gripsters, high end
w/GKs).

The largest tires I have are Big Bens, which measure ~52mm, IIRC. There is
room for wider tires w/o fenders.

I've heard that many panniers will work fine with the Piccolo. The
potential problem is that the rails are somewhat thicker than other racks.
That could be a problem for certain pannier mounts. I have a Detour bag
which has long arms that will drop down easily, but it's a no-fuss system.

RE: trailer stability-- I've tipped mine riding off road. It was a narrower
section, and I got the trailer wheel on a medium-sized rock which rolled
the trailer. The kids were fine hanging sideways being held by the
seat-belt restraints.

Best, shoji