If we're going to get paleo, let's talk about lifespan.  Paleo lifespan was
in the teens - it moved into the 40s with the advent of grain agriculture.
If a diet works for you, more power to you, just don't impale other healthy
people with it.
Let's talk about obesity.  It's also paleo.  It's your body deciding that
you mean to do this - store up fat, so your metabolism drops and you store
up fat.
BTW, when you gain weight, you add fat cells, When you lose weight, your
fat cells never decrease, they just lean out.  So maintaining a healthy
weight and an active metabolism goes a long to naturally regulating your
diet.
Also don't stick "American" fast fooddiet  on those of us who don't eat it.
 I did have French Fries once this year - they were pretty good - they
didn't hurt me.

On Thursday, November 6, 2014 2:10:10 PM UTC-6, Deacon Patrick wrote:

> Alternative viewpoints to what? Low carb? The standard American diet? I
> didn't see any new information there and I saw nothing that refutes a low
> carb approach. One reality I've personally experienced, and the science
> supports, is that meals high in fat (in my case, 80-90% of calories come
> from fat) are amazingly satiating and filling and satisfying and also
> trigger the "I'm full" as appropriate. The result is the same as the
> experiments Guyenet cites, but with the added benefit of amazing, tasty
> food.
>
> These folks went on a self-regulated calorie negative diet, which by
> definition means they were in ketosis most of the time (possibly all the
> time), getting nearly all their energy from their body's fat stores. This
> would seem to confirm the health benefits of switching from sugar
> burning/fat storing to fat burning, which is precisely what a paleo or low
> carb diet does.
>
> Also, those studies do not explore the question "Why did those folks have
> issues with the pleasure center of their brain, causing them to over eat?"
> One very plausible explanation, which the science supports, is it is the
> result of the carb/insulin cycle altering brain as well as body chemistry.
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick
>
> On Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:33:03 PM UTC-7, Chris Lampe 2 wrote:
>>
>> I would invite anyone who is interested in alternative viewpoints to
>> follow the link provided here and read some of Dr. Guyenet's work.  Pay
>> particular attention to the "tasteless liquid through a straw" experiment.
>>  The results indicate that something really is different in the brains of
>> obese people vs the brains of normal weight people.
>>

>> http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/05/food-reward-dominant-factor-in-obesity.html
>>

>> On Sunday, November 2, 2014 2:24:52 PM UTC-6, David Banzer wrote:
>>>
>>> First off, this isn't necessarily Riv-related, or even bike-related
>>> technically, but it is Grant-related. If this falls outside the parameters
>>> of this list, let me know, and Jim feel free to delete.
>>>
>>> I've been following Grant's new blog for his new book and am genuinely
>>> interested in the diet/exercise viewpoint that he discusses and follows.
>>> I guess my questions are (and answers probably should be offlist I
>>> guess):
>>> Anyone follow a similar diet?
>>> Your general experiences?
>>> Your reasons for adopting this diet, and your experience in the
>>> transition period?
>>> Difficulties?
>>> What would you bring on a lengthy bike ride (bike-related!) or overnight?
>>> Thanks,
>>> David